No. 18-ranked St. Thomas Volleyball scored a 3-0 victory over host Hamline Wednesday night in St. Paul to secure at least a share of the MIAC championship and take the No. 1 playoff seed. The Toms won 25-21, 25-15, 25-17.
The team title came on Thanh Pham's 500th match in 15 seasons as head coach at St. Thomas (396-104 record).
The Toms (23-5 overall, 9-1 MIAC), who won their fourth match in a row, finish the regular season Saturday afternoon at St. Catherine and can win the title outright with a victory.
This marks the Tommies' league-best 16th regular-season volleyball championship, including 11 in the last 16 seasons.
St. Thomas fell behind the Pipers in the third set 9-5 and still trailed 13-12 before using a 11-2 scoring run to take control.
UST leaders were:
- Julia Spacek had nine kills and three blocks;
- Whitney Lloyd has eight kills and four blocks;
- Brooke Reichart had eight kills;
- Audrey Erickson had two aces and three blocks;
- Madie Kroehler had 16 digs;
- Meghan Mazzola had 15 digs;
- Katharine Mallak had 19 assists and eight digs;
- Hannah Schwartz had 18 assists and eight digs.