Editor's Note: Starting July 7 and running through the rest of the month, Tommiesports.com will highlight 25 memorable events from St. Thomas' successful 2017-18 athletics year
Achieving, Chasing Milestones
St. Thomas coaches and teams hit some significant milestones in the 2017-18 seasons. A few more are on the cusp to reach other milestones in 2018-19.
Last school year's milestones included:
- Football head coach Glenn Caruso surpassed 100 wins at St. Thomas in his 10th season. He now has a 110-17 record with the Tommies.
- Softball's John Tschida surpassed 900 victories in a 24-year career at St. Mary's and St. Thomas, and remains the sport's all-time leader in career coaching win percentage.
- Women's Soccer's Sheila McGill became the all-time Tommie leader in coaching wins in her sport, now with a 123-64-23 overall record.
- Women's Track and Field's Joe Sweeney hit 65 team titles in MIAC indoor/outdoor meets.
- Men's Track and Field's Steve Mathre surpassed 40 team championships in his 23-year era as UST head coach with another indoor/outdoor sweep, including a 23-of-23 run indoors and an 18-of-23 run outdoors.
- Women's Hockey completed its 20th varsity season last winter and shared the MIAC championship.
- Volleyball's Thanh Pham concluded his 15th season guiding the UST program.
- Men's Cross Country's Pete Wareham concluded his 25th season leading the Tommies.
- Terry Peck concluded his 25th season coaching Tommie Women's Tennis.
- John Tauer coached his 200th game in season seven leading UST Men's Hoops, and now stands 161-42.
- Jeff Boeser coached his 200th game in season eight guiding UST Men's Hockey, and stands 125-63-23.
Tommie athletics are approaching these milestones as early as fall 2018:
- St. Thomas is on pace to reach 500 MIAC team championships -- regular season and playoff -- in 2018-19.
- Football will play the program's 1,000th varsity game Sept. 15 at home against Hamline, and can break a record for consecutive wins (now at 28) against MIAC teams with one more victory.
- Women's Basketball's Ruth Sinn starts her 14th season with October practices, and needs one win to reach 300 on her career (currently 299-79).
- Volleyball's Thanh Pham is on pace to reach 400 victories at St. Thomas early in September, as he holds a 398-106 record.
- Baseball's Chris Olean will start his 10th season as head coach in 2019 and has a shot to reach his 300th win (currently 275-120-1 in nine seasons at UST).
- Men's Soccer's Jon Lowery will work his 10th season as an MIAC head coach, including a three-year run at Hamline (2009-2011) before starting his Tommie tenure.
- John Tauer's annual summer youth basketball camps will celebrate their 25th season in 2019.
- Sports information director Gene McGivern starts his 25th season with St. Thomas in 2018-19.
Previous July Rewind stories: