Editor's Note: Starting July 7 and running through the rest of the month, Tommiesports.com will highlight 25 memorable events from St. Thomas' successful 2017-18 athletics year
St. Thomas athletics extended several impressive seasonal streaks, and many Tommie teams put together some nice win streaks during 2017-18.
On the season streak front:
- Men's Track and Field won the MIAC Indoor Championship for the 34th time in the 34-year history of the format. The Toms swept the conference indoor and outdoor teams crowns for the seventh year in a row.
- Women's Track and Field made it 28 consecutive MIAC indoor and outdoor titles, 14 years of sweeps.
- Men's and Women's Swim-Dive swept team titles at the MIAC Championships for the third year in a row.
- Women's Basketball made it seven consecutive -- and eight of the last nine -- MIAC playoff titles won. Coach Ruth Sinn's teams have won either the conference regular-season or playoff championships nine years running.
- Softball reached the NCAA playoffs for the 15th year in a row.
- Football reached the NCAA playoffs for the fourth year in a row, and closed in the D3Football.com top 25 poll for the ninth consecutive season.
- Women's Cross Country qualified a team into the national meet for the fourth consecutive season.
- Men's Basketball advanced to the MIAC playoffs for the 19th consecutive season, although it had a streak of NCAA playoff trips end at 12 years.
- Men's Hockey recorded its 36th consecutive winning season and made it 34-of-34 in all-time MIAC playoff berths.
- Women's Hockey recorded its 18th consecutive winning season and made it five consecutive seasons winning either the MIAC regular-season or playoff title.
On the team win streak front:
- Repeat MIAC champ Men's Soccer won 19 in a row last season before losing 1-0 on the road in the NCAA playoff quarterfinals. Coach Jon Lowery's team also won 14 in a row against conference teams and 17 in a row at home.
- Repeat MIAC champ Women's Basketball pushed their streak of wins over conference opponents to 54 as it capped another 20-0 run against MIAC teams. That included a 20-game win streak before an NCAA Sweet 16 playoff overtime loss.
- Repeat MIAC champ Football won 10 in a row before losing on the road to the defending national champs in the NCAA playoff quarterfinals.
- Football also tied a record for consecutive victories over MIAC opponents with its current streak of 28.
- Repeat MIAC champ Softball won 19 games in a row en route to another conference title, and also went 16-0 at home.
- Women's Hockey closed its season on a 13-game unbeaten streak (8-0-5).
- Men's Hockey built a seven-game win streak en route to winning an MIAC crown.
- Women's Tennis started its season 11-0 before a 5-4 loss on spring break to Division II Erskine.
Previous July Rewind stories:
- July 22: Women's Hockey Closes Strong
- July 23: Toms get 11 MIAC MVP-Type Honors