Tommie Baseball (18-16) is set for the 2018 MIAC Playoffs. Coach Chris Olean's team plays Thursday at 7 p.m. against Macalester in an elimination game at CHS Field in downtown St. Paul.
All MIAC playoff games are nine innings. Thursday's two contests (Gustavus faces St. Mary's at 3:30 p.m.) are elimination games. The remaining four teams will play a double-elimination format. The field was expanded to six teams for this season due to the poor April weather and heavily condensed schedule.
Macalester won the 2017 MIAC playoffs, and had a victory over the Tommies along the way. St. Thomas avenged that loss with a win over the Scots in in the 2017 NCAA playoffs.
Tommie Baseball Notes
- UST tied for third place in the conference to secure the program's 25th consecutive top-four MIAC finish.
- UST is making a postseason appearance (MIAC or NCAA) for the 24th consecutive season.
- UST made it 19-for-19 in all-time MIAC playoff appearances -- the lone conference school to make the field each year.
- UST is 5-5 this spring against the other five playoff qualifiers, including a 2-0 mark against Macalester after winning 5-1 and 8-2 last week on the Scots' diamond.
- St. Thomas is 13-0 in games when it scores four or more runs, but just 5-16 in all other games.
- UST has scored just a total of 28 runs in its 16 losses.
- UST ranks in the top 12 of Division III in four pitching categories: strikeouts per nine innings (sixth, 10.0); K-to-walk ratio (second, 4-to-1); ERA (11th, 3.10); and walks/hits per inning (second, 1.07).
- Sophomore reliever Shaun Falbo has allowed one run in 22 career eppearances (29 innings) and foes are batting .097 against him; this year he has 18 Ks and one walk issued.
- In 157 career games, senior Jake Smith has a .330 BA, 184 hits, 130 runs, 95 RBI, 56 walks, 29 doubles, 12 triples, 12 HRs and 18 HBP.
- In 154 career games, senior Zach Gottfredsen has a .299 BA, 167 hits, 95 runs, 54 RBI, 36 walks, 27 doubles, two triples, eight HRs, 22 SBs.
- In 110 career games, senior Hunter Hart has 96 hits, 57 runs, 82 RBI, 56 walks, 19 doubles, 11 HRs, nine SFs, five HBP
- In 42 career pitching appearances, senior Ryan Zimmerman has a 2.94 ERA, 16-8 W-L, one save, eight CG, 195 Ks, 67 BB in 168 IP.
- In 35 career appearances, senior Drew Molin has a 3.18 ERA, 14-5 W-L, four CG, 144 Ks, 28 BB in 147 IP.
- Sophomore DH Ryan Lust (26 hits, 11 walks in 26 games, .378 BA) and freshman Kyle Halverson (six hits, twp walks in six games, .429 BA) have been hot of late.
- Ninth-year Tommie head coach Chris Olean has a 271-118-1 record and seven MIAC regular-season championships in his first nine seasons, plus third-place NCAA finishes in 2012 and 2014.
7, Concordia (5-13 W-L) 0 titles, 1 second... Last previous appearance 2015
5, Hamline (6-8 W-L) 1 title, 1 second... Last previous appearance 2016
4, Macalester (5-4 W-L) 1 title... Last previous appearance 2017