St. Thomas SS-OF Jake Smith has signed a pro contract with the St. Paul Saints of the American Association. He's expected to join the team this weekend for the start of a six-game homestand.
An Apple Valley, Minn., native, Smith will be reunited with four-year Tommie teammate Ryan Zimmerman, who pitched and made his Saints' debut last weekend on the road in Texas.
A third-team ABCA All-Region honoree in 2017, Smith had another strong season as a senior in 2018 for the Tommies.
Smith's durability and consistency for Coach Chris Olean was impressive: He started all 125 games over his last three seasons.
- Four-year starter
- Three-time all-conference
- Batted .310 in 2018, reached 56 teams in 38 games via hit, walk or HBP
- In 161 career games, reached base 265 times via hit, walk or HBP
- Had a .330 career average with 189 hits, 133 runs, 96 RBI, 57 walks, 29 doubles, 13 triples, 12 HRs, 19 HBP and 24 steals
- Recorded a 17-game hitting streak in 2016, and closed 2017 on a 15-game hitting streak
- His 13 career triples were one off the UST school record
- Helped UST teams win or share two MIAC championships and posted a 98-67-1 record