St. Thomas senior defensive lineman Austin Jochum was named a second-team Division III All-America by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA). Just 50 players are recognized on this elite honor team -- 25 on first team, and 25 on second team.
In 10 seasons under Glenn Caruso, Tommie Football now has had 17 players who have combined to receive either All-America or Academic All-America distinction a total of 30 times.
The Tommies won 10 consecutive games after their 1-1 non-conference start and recorded an 8-0 MIAC finish for the sixth time in the last eight seasons. UST's win streak came to an end with a 24-10 loss to No. 1 ranked Mary Hardin-Baylor on the road Dec. 2 in the national quarterfinal round of the playoffs -- a game tied 10-10 early in the fourth quarter.
The D3Football.com All-America team will be announced Friday, while the CoSIDA Academic All-America team will be announced Wednesday.
- First-year starter at nose tackle, has made dramatic gains physically in both football and track and field during his college career;
- 2017 MIAC Mike Stam Award winner as league's top offensive or defensive lineman, also first-team All-Region and first-team All-MIAC;
- Had 33 tackles, one forced fumble, one recovered fumble, 15.5 tackles for loss (6.5 sacks) this season;
- In 35 games over the last three seasons helped team record a 38-4 record and collected 30.5 tackles for loss (11.5 sacks) among 56 tackles;
- Had one solo sack and two half sacks against St. John's in this year's 20-17 win, a sack and forced fumble against Concordia, and a sack among two tackles for loss at unbeaten Mary Hardin-Baylor;
- Was Tommies' first line of defense against the run, and that unit allowed just 21.9 rushing yards per game, a total no NCAA team at any level has matched in the last 16 seasons;
- UST defense allowed 0.7 yards per rushing attempt and held eight of 13 opponents to 15 or less rushing yards;
- Also an accomplished thrower in track and field, he helped Tommies win three MIAC team titles in both the 2016 and 2017 calendar years;
- Had 2017 throwing bests as a junior of 184-5 in the hammer (outdoors), which ranked 21st in D-III (11th among non seniors), and 58-8 1-2 in the weight throw (indoors), 17th in D-III (10th among non seniors);