Men’s soccer opens MIAC schedule with 1-1 tie

Photo by Haley Staffon
Photo by Haley Staffon

COLLEGEVILLE, Minn. – The St. Thomas men's soccer team opened the conference portion of its schedule with a 1-1 draw at Saint John's on Wednesday night. 

The Tommies got out to a 1-0 lead midway through the first half, but could not hang on in the tie.  With tonight's result, St. Thomas moves to 4-0-2 overall on the year and opens the MIAC season 0-0-1.  Saint John's is now 1-1-3 overall and 0-0-1 in league play.

The Tommie men were the first to get on the scoreboard in the 23rd minute.  Senior Mark Heydt put one past Johnnie goalkeeper Nicholas French to score his second of the season.  The goal came unassisted and put the Tommies on top 1-0 midway through the first.

Although Saint John's would outshoot St. Thomas 9-3 in the opening frame, the Tommie defense held strong, behind five saves from sophomore keeper Aidan Hogan and took the one-goal lead to halftime.

St. Thomas held the Johnnies scoreless through the first 25 minutes of the second half, but would eventually allow a goal in the 72nd minute.  Zack Boerjan put away the equalizer thanks to an assist from Dylan Lehrer.

Neither team scored through the remainder of the second, as the Tommies recorded just one shot to 10 for Saint John's.  Even with the large shot total, the Johnnies tallied the only shot on goal after halftime.

Saint John's created the lone scoring chance in the first overtime, when Sam Newman placed a shot on target.  But Hogan stood tall for the Purple and sent the game to a second overtime.

It was UST's turn to get the dangerous opportunity in the second overtime.  Junior Pierce Erickson sent one at the goal inside the final two minutes, but French was there for the Johnnies to make the save and lock in the draw.

For the game, Saint John's finished with a 24-5 shot advantage, including a 7-2 edge in shots on goal.  The Johnnies also tallied nine corner kicks to just one for St. Thomas.

In goal, Hogan recorded his first tie of the year and moves to 2-0-1 after making six saves.  He also allowed his first goal of the season in 317:30 logged in net so far this year.  French made two saves and is now 1-0-3 on the season.

The Tommies will be back in action again on Saturday afternoon when they host Bethel at 3:30 pm on South Field.