NOTE: Corrected start times
Coach Jon Lowery's Tommie Men's Soccer team will get a NCAA playoff trip to Chicago for games Nov. 16 and 18, hosted by the University of Chicago. It's the third year in a row the Tommies will play in the Windy city for the round of 16.
St. Thomas (16-3-2) will attempt to avenge one of their season defeats as they face Luther (Iowa) on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Chicago plays a 1 p.m. game against Trinity (Tex.).
St. Thomas Men's Soccer Notes -- Nov. 12
- St. Thomas is in the NCAA playoffs for the eighth time with an 11-7 all-time record (nine of those postseason wins in last three years).
- The Tommies reached the national semifinals in 2016 (losing 2-1 to eventual champion Tufts). They reached the national quarterfinals in 2017 (lost 1-0 at North Park in quarterfinals).
- The 2016 NCAA playoff berth was the program's first in 21 seasons for the program.
- At 16-3-2, the Tommies are unbeaten in their last 10 games (9-0-1).
- The Tommies have six consecutive shutouts and a defensive scoreless streak of 622-plus minutes. They have allowed just one goal in their last 796 minutes of play (first-half goal at St. Scholastica in 3-1 victory).
- St. Thomas has not played recent games with Trinity or Chicago. They lost at home to Luther 2-1 on Sept. 18. That ended UST's 19-game home win streak and 19-game regular-season victory streak dating back to October 2016.
- Luther and St. Thomas did not play in 2017. In 2016, The Toms edged the Norse 2-1 in Decorah in October, and later won 2-0 at home in the second game of the NCAA playoffs.
- St. Thomas graduated 13 seniors last May, including Division III National Player of the Year in midfielder Shae Bottum. This year's team has four seniors and four juniors on a 34-player roster.
- In winning 1-0 (Pacific Lutheran) and 5-0 (UW-Superior) at home last weekend, senior keeper Aidan Hogan recorded his No. 50 and No. 51 career wins and had his 29th and 30th career shutouts.
- The 2018 Tommies finished fourth in their conference after losing to Carleton and Macalester and tying Gustavus. UST tied Augsburg 0-0 in the conference playoffs Oct. 30 but lost on shootout kicks and did not advance into the semifinal round.
- Under Coach Jon Lowery, St. Thomas men's soccer has improved from nine wins in 2014, to 12 in 2015, to 20 in 2016, to 22 in 2017, and is now at 16 this season.
- St. Thomas is 11-0-5 in its last 16 overtime games. It is also won its last 49 games when it scores two or more goals.