St. Thomas Track and Field has two men and four women selected for the 2018 NCAA Division III Indoor Championships, set for Friday and Saturday in Birmingham, Ala.
Two UST men fell a bit short of qualifying -- senior Austin Jochum in the weight throw (seeded 18th nationally) and senior Prestin Huddleston in the heptathlon (seeded 15th)
Seniors Katie Murray (fourth seed, 200) and Ali Glassbrenner (10th seed, mile), plus juniors Grace Bordson (11th seed, high jump) and Kendall Novak (15th seed, pole vault) qualified for Coach Joe Sweeney's women's team.
St. Thomas, which swept the MIAC team championships for both genders on Feb. 23-24, also had several athletes get All-Central Region honors with top-five ranked individual and top-three ranked relay peformances.
The Tommie men had 10 athletes recognized over six events, and all also have top-40 ranked national performances:
- Holst and Jochum in the weight throw;
- White in the long jump;
- junior Nick Spann in the long jump and triple jump;
- senior Chris Mueller on the 400;
- the distance medley relay team with Mueller, junior James Skidmore, freshman Carl Koslowski and sophomore Karl Wachter;
- sophomore Michael Bury in the pole vault;
- and Huddleston in the heptathlon.
The Tommie women had nine athletes recognized over eight events:
- Murray in the 60 and 200;
- seniors Glassbrenner and Jenny Walz in the mile;
- Glassbrenner, Brielle Bierman, Hannah Helstad and Walz in the distance medley relay;
- Helstad in the 800;
- Novak and Jalia Anderson in the pole vault;
- Bordson in the high jump;
- senior Laura Eischens in the pentathlon.