After a six-week break from competition for most athletes, Tommie Men's Track and Field opened its 2018 outdoor season at Thursday's home Tomcat Twilight. The non-team scored meet was held primarily at O'Shaughnessy Stadium, with a couple of field events moved indoors at Anderson Fieldhosue plus three throwing events at Hamline.
Top St. Thomas performances included:
- Eric Holst had a career-best 182-4 for third out of 26 in the hammer throw and also placed fourth in the discus in 144-6.
- David Danhauer took second in the shot put in 50-4 3-4.
- Connor O'Neill took third of 26 in the 10 hurdles in 15.55.
- The 4x400 relay team of James Skidmore, Carl Kozlowski, Jonah Schoenfelder and Chris Mueller role a strong anchor leg to edge Bethel by .02 of a second and win in 3:23.54.
- Kozlowski, a freshman, clocked 1:55.17 for fifth out of 50 entrants in the 800 meters.
- Karl Wachter clocked 3:59.77 in the 1,500 to take eighth out of 42 runners.
- Mueller ran 49.99 for fifth of 24 in the 400 dash.
- Andrew Fritz placed sixth out 32 in the 5,000 in 15:32.08.
- Schoenfelder took fourth of 15 in the 400 hurdles in 57.11.
- Jake Kelly took third in the high jump in 6-3 1-4.
- Luke VanZuilen was third in the triple jump in 43-9 3-4.
- Michael Bury was sixth in the pole vault in 13-11 1-4.
- Conor White placed fifth in the long jump in 21-4.
- Austin Jochum took fifth in the hammer in 168-5.