The facility was sweet, but the weather was not Wednesday at the non-team scored University of Minnesota Gopher Men's Twilight meet in Dinkytown.
The Gophers held their first men's track and field competition at their new on-campus venue, but the cool, windy, cloudy conditions seemed more fitting for March than May.
St. Thomas had a small group of athletes competing, and senior two-time national champion Eric Holst didn't let the gloomy day keep him from throwing the hammer a season-best distance of 198-10.
Holst took third place behind two Gopher standouts and ahead of two other U of M athletes. He ranks seventh nationally, just three feet out of third place on the D-III season list. Last May at nationals he won the event with an all-time top-10 Division III heave of 211-4. Holst added an NCAA title indoors in the weight throw in March 2019.
Three other Tommie field-event athletes had season-bests on Wednesday:
- freshman Parker Feuerborn was third in the shot put and had a top-40 D-III throw and No. 8 MIAC throw (50-10);
- Nick Spann was third in the triple jump (43-10 1-2), moving to No. 5 on the MIAC season list;
- Wyatt Amdahl cleared 13-6 1-2 in the pole vault for seventh (No. 10 on the MIAC season list), behind two teammates who fell short of earlier season vaults: Aidan Ritzenthaler (fourth, 14-5 1-4) and Michael Bury (sixth, 14-0 1-4).
Other performances included:
- freshman Eric Douville took fourth in the 100 dash (11.23);
- freshman Mason Thedens took sixth in the 400 (season-best 50.56, No. 15 on the MIAC season list);
- Austin Coates took fifth in both the 110 hurdles (16.03) and the 400 hurdles (58.79);
- Brian Carl took sixth in the 800 (1:58.38);
- Jake Kelly was second in the high jump (6-2);
- Conor White (20-10), Spann (20-9) and freshman Kaleb Keener (20-2 1-2) placed 2-4-6 in the long jump;
- Gage O'Brien took sixth in the discus (142-1);
- freshman Josh Dolezal placed fourth in the javelin (135-10).
St. Thomas will have athletes competing Saturday in Collegeville in the three-team Meet of Saints.