Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women’s soccer allows first goal, ties Saint Benedict

Photo by Haley Staffon
Photo by Haley Staffon

ST. JOSEPH, Minn. – The St. Thomas women's soccer team played through a pair of weather delays to earn a 1-1 draw at Saint Benedict on Wednesday night.  The Tommies allowed their first goal of the season in the opening minute of the game, but came back to score midway through the first half to earn the tie.  With the result, St. Thomas moves to 5-0-1 overall and opens MIAC play 0-0-1, while Saint Ben's is now 5-1-2 overall and 1-0-1 in the MIAC.

The day got off to a dreary start, as inclement weather in the area caused the game to be delayed prior to kickoff for 30 minutes.  When the lightening cleared, the game began with a bang, as the Blazers scored just 25 seconds in to take an early 1-0 lead.  Jane Koch took a pass from Taylor Hedin and finished while Tommie goalkeeper was drawn out to score her fifth goal of the year.

With the early goal, the Tommies worked to gain some momentum back and were aided by another stoppage of play due to weather midway through the first half.  St. Thomas used the break to its advantage and came back to even the score in the 25th minute of play.

Sophomore Mallory DeBoom took advantage of assists from senior Taylor Skorik and fellow-sophomore Emily Michaelson to score her second goal of the year and tie the game 1-1 with 20 minutes to play before halftime.

The two teams played out the remaining time before the break to a scoreless tie, and would post the same result in the second half to finish regulation still tied one all.  Due to the earlier delays, the game was called following regulation with the final result of a 1-1 tie.

In the box score, the two teams tallied even numbers across the board.  Both teams tallied 15 shots. St. Thomas held a slight advantage in the first half (7-5), but Saint Benedict came back to gain the edge in the second (10-8) to even the total mark (15-15).  Each team also put seven shots on target and racked up four corner kicks apiece. 

In goal, Tarynn Theilig went the distance, making five saves along the way, and allowing her first goal of the season.  The goal comes after five straight shutouts to begin the year.  Coming into the afternoon, the Tommies were one of four women's soccer teams and one of five teams regardless of gender in all of Division III yet to allow a goal.

St. Thomas will be back in action again on Saturday afternoon for a pivotal MIAC match up against Gustavus at South Field.  That contest is set for a 1:00 pm start.